Professor of Mathematics
California State University, Stanislaus Tel: (209) 667 3595
One University Circle FAX: (209) 667 3848
Turlock, CA. 95382 Email: email@example.com
Ph. D. Mathematics, University of Illinois: (Group Theory)
M.S. Mathematics, University of Illinois, Urbana
B.Sc. Mathematics, Physics & Chemistry University of Poona, India
PROFESSIONAL RESEARCH INTERESTS
Enriching K-12 students into Engineering projects Pre-Collegiate Academic Development
Professional Development of K-12 Teachers Gender Equity in Teaching Mathematics
Empowering parents to help their child Academically Power of Writing in Mathematics
1988-present Professor of Mathematics, California State University, Stanislaus
1983-1988 Associate Professor of Mathematics, CSUS
1979-1983 Assistant Professor of Mathematics, CSUS
Director Mathematics Grants & Sponsored Programs 2000 – present
PI Stanislaus County Mathematics Project (CaMSP funded) 2010-2014
PI/UC Central California Mathematics Project, 1988-present
PI/PD Central California Mathematics Project, 1993-present
PI/PD Mathematics Professional Development Initiative, 1999-present
AWARDS (Partial listing)
How do I work? I grope. -Albert Einstein
- CSU Stanislaus Student Empowerment Award (May 2017) Stan State Associated Students
- The San Joaquin Engineers Council 2015 Distinguished Service Award (2015)
- American Association of University Women’s Outstanding Women Leaders in Our Community
- Outstanding Research, Scholarship and Creative Activity Professor of the Year Award (2010)
- Nomination for “Programs that Make a Difference - HiMAP: High School Mathematics Access Program.” - American Mathematical Society, Providence, RI (2008)
- Outstanding Woman of Stanislaus County by the Stanislaus County Commission for Women. (2008)
- WANG Family Excellence Award –CSU System in the category of Natural Sciences,
Mathematics, Computer Science and Engineering (2003)
- Outstanding Community Service Professor of the Year Award CSU Stanislaus (2003)
- Progress in Equity (PiE) Award– AAUW Legal Advocacy Educational Foundation (1999)
- JC Penny Golden Rule Award – Outstanding Volunteer service to Community (1998)
- Outstanding Professor Award for teaching, scholarship & service to campus &community (1993)
PRESENTATIONS (K-12 School-based Activities (workshops, presentations, or consultant partial list)
- Sundar, Viji. Mathematics. Presentation “Mathematics Professional Development Models For K-12 Mathematics Teachers In California” International Teacher Education Conference, Dubai/Sharjah, UAE, February 2014
- Sundar, Viji. Mathematics. Presentation “High School Mathematics Access Program” The Twelfth International Congress on Mathematics Education, Seoul, Korea July 2013
- Sundar, Viji. Mathematics. Presentation “Stanislaus County Mathematics Partnership” Conference on Mathematics and Science, Penang, Malaysia, November 2011
- Sundar, Viji. Mathematics. Presentation “My Experiences in Authentic Assessment in Pre-service Mathematics Courses ” Conference on Mathematics and Science, Penang, Malaysia, November 2009
- Sundar, Viji. Mathematics. Presenter. “Forensics and Mathematics” Presenter. Region Six California Subject Matter Projects & the San Joaquin County Office of Education, Stockton, CA. 2008
- Sundar, Viji. Mathematics. “Learning to Master Math and Science in a Multilingual Society -What can we learn from India?” Presentation at the 33rd Annual Bilingual/Multicultural Education Conference (CABE). San Jose, CA. March 2008
- Sundar, Viji. Mathematics. “Implementing CREDE in my college classrooms.” Presentation at the Annual CREDE Annual Seminar. UC Berkeley. June 2007
- Sundar, Viji. Mathematics. Hilberg, Soleste. UC Berkeley. Won, Noelle. Teacher Education. “Instructional Conversation and Joint Product Activity Presentation at the CMC-N Annual Mathematics Conference. Asilomar, CA. December 2007.
- Gender Issues in Mathematics- Equity In Mathematics Education: Mount Holyoke College, South Hadley, Massachusetts (July 1997)
- Seminar on mathematics Teacher Training Program- Preservice and inservice models, Rajabhat Institute at Chandrakasem, Bangkok, Thailand December 1997
- Mathematical Power & Children of Many Cultures,International Congress on Ethnomathematics, Granada, Spain, September 2-5, 1998
- Seminar on Undergraduate Mathematics Curriculum in United states; Nowrosjee Wadia College, India, February 2002
PUBLICATIONS (Partial listing)
Sundar, Viji K. (2014) “Mathematics Professional Development model for K-12 Mathematics Teachers in California” Journal of Mathematics Education Vol. 7 Issue 2
Sundar, Viji K. (2011) “Teaching Problem Solving At the Elementary Level Using a Deck of Playing Cards “Journal of Central California Mathematics Project Vol. 3 .
Sundar, Viji K. (2011) “Passport to Creative Scholarship -How to be a Research Scholar at a Teaching University” The Faculty Voices published by the Center for Teaching and Learning.
Sundar, Viji K. (2010) “The Many Phases of Teaching and Learning” The Faculty Voices published by the Center for Teaching and Learning, (May 2010).
Sundar, Viji K.; Isaac, R. (2008). “Math! A World of Discovery!” Journal of California Mathematics Project Vol. 1
Sundar, Viji K. High School Mathematics Access Programs in The 12th International Congress on Mathematical Education (ICME-12), July 2012
Sundar, Viji K., Cuarenta, E. "An Experiment in Racing to the Finish” California Mathematics Council CoMmuniCator, Vol. 34 (3) (March 2010).
Sundar, Viji K.; Vanisko, M. (2009) “Developing a New Course in Linear and Abstract Algebra for thee Liberal Studies Major. Mathematical Association of America web edition
Sundar, Viji K. “Learning The Right Content Versus Learning To Write The Content” The Faculty Voices published by the Center for Teaching and Learning, (Spring 2008).
Sundar, Viji K. (2003) “Partnerships in Math Education: The Power of University-School Collaboration” Book Review California Mathematics Council Communicator, Vol. 28
Do not be afraid of going slowly; be afraid of only standing still.